Not sure if anyone noticed or not, but I didn’t post a weekly roundup for last week. Sorry about that! Due to suffering from a stomach bug and being plagued by allergies along with a persistent cough, I wasn’t online very much last week so I wasn’t spending much time reading blogs and clicking that stumbleupon button in my toolbar (I lose a fair amount of time to that button).
So, having explained why there wasn’t a roundup last week, here’s what I’ve been reading, looking at, watching and listening to this week. So to start with, here are the blog posts that I think are worth reading:
- The Discover blogs over on Discover Magazine are definitely worth checking out. A lot of posts this week about the Higgs which I enjoyed such as the one on Bad Astronomy and the one on 80beats. Also, a really great video over on Cosmic Variance: Hitler Learns the Tevatron Has Been Shut Down.
- At the momentous announcement of finding the Higgs, they made a big mistake though – they used comic sans in the presentations. Supernova Condensate has a good post explaining what exactly is wrong with comic sans, and if you’re confused at all the physics talk, you can get to grips with the terminology in another post.
- The Skeptical Teenager has a good post explaining what confirmation bias is.
- And just in case you wanted to read some more, should comic sans be renamed comic cern?
A selection of podcasts to please your ears:
- The Pod Delusion #143
- The Infinite Monkey Cage: Does size matter?
- The Reality Check #199 – Sunscreen myths, $0.99 and 1 phone call
- Skeptoid #317 – Attack of the nanobots!
- Skeptics’ Guide to the Universe #364
Sites, images and videos that you should check out:
Ya, not too many sites this week, mostly just been listening to podcasts.